Students are expected to be neat, clean, and MODEST in their dress and appearance.
Student attire should not interfere with the orderly process of learning or cause distractions.
Appropriate school dress is the responsibility of each student and parental support is appreciated.
The following are NOT ALLOWED:
- Extremely short dresses and skirts are not to be worn. Skirts or dresses must be no shorter than 6 inches from the knee. Skirts and dresses will be measured while a student is sitting with upright posture. A ruler will be used to measure from the end of the knee to the bottom hem or top of the slit of the article of clothing. (If spandex, yoga style, leggings, or any tight fitting garments are worn as pants, they MUST be covered with an appropriate length top, 6” from the middle of the knee).
- Shorts will be measured with the student kneeling on both knees. Shorts must be no shorter than 8 inches from the knee. A ruler will be used to measure from the floor to the bottom hem or top of the slit. NO bicycle shorts, spandex shorts, wind shorts, or boxers.
- All holes/deteriorated fabric above the knees must be patched with cloth, or have compression shorts, leggings or spandex underneath. Skin should NOT be visible 6” above the knees.
- Any clothing that does not cover the stomach, midsection, chest, side, or back.
- Visible undergarments, panty lines, bra straps, etc.
- Tank tops, T-backs, Strapless, Spaghetti straps, etc., with straps narrower than 2.5” width. Layering 2 shirts to achieve 2.5” inches is NOT allowed. All must fit snug around/under the arms.
- Low necklines or any see-through apparel.
- Hats in the building.
- Single-layer mesh shorts or boxer shorts.
- Any clothing containing double or inappropriate meanings to include: vulgar, suggestive, subversive, sexual, drug or alcoholic related, symbols of death, gang related, or any potentially harmful clothing or accessories (chains, spikes, hooks, etc.)
- Bare feet.
- Pajama-type clothing, house shoes, blankets, robes, etc.
- More than 3 earrings in each ear (all other visible body piercings must be covered or use small, flat, clear spacers).
- Any outrageous or unnatural hair colors. However, one streak no wider than 2” may be allowed. (All exceptions to this must be approved through the CMS office in advance).
- Hoodies covering the head in the building.
- Trench coats, long coats, or any type of outer covering that impedes clear visibility of attire.
- Visible tattoos or brandings.
- To possess, wear, use, distribute, or display any sign, symbol, badge, color or other item (including bandanas) that is evident of possible affiliation or membership with a gang.
NOTE: The CMS Dress Code Policy applies to all CMS and CPS events.
Non-compliance with the Dress Code: If a CMS Staff member feels a student may be out of compliance with the dress code, that student will be sent to the office or a member of the Dress-Code Team. If it is determined the student is out of compliance, the student will be required to call home. If a change of clothes cannot be obtained from a parent or guardian, the student will be given a point and sent to ISD until compliant clothing is received. On the 3rd infraction of any kind throughout the school year, the student will receive ISD and a Major Point. Continued offences will include extended time in ISD, and/or Suspension until the matter is corrected or resolved. A meeting with the Principal and the students Parents/Guardian may also be required after repeated offences.
The CMS administration reserves the right to make additions or changes to this policy, as deemed necessary to promote modesty and safety throughout the school year.